2021.12.04 13:18 RedEagle_MGN I studied the "Metaverse" for 8 years and here's what I concluded:
Preface: The Metaverse is a hypothetical version of the internet in which 3D avatars navigate a 3D space. Companies envision this world to be one where most people will live most of the most meaningful parts of their life in the future.
1. The Metaverse is not possible with mouse and keyboard As Metaverse enthusiasts, it's important to remember that we are likely the top 0.1% of computer users. Most people are confused by technology, overwhelmed by options and worried if they push the wrong button they will destroy something.
Chrome added a copy and paste feature to the menu because people couldn't discover how to copy and paste.
Since the Metaverse simulates the countless possibilities of physical life, the complexity of the user interface gets out of hand quickly.
I remember testing out Second Life and accidentally taking off my pants and being unable to put them back on for 20 minutes.
Clearly, mouse and keyboard would not be a sufficient way of interacting with the metaverse.
2. No significant social organization arises out of putting people in a virtual space 18 years ago, Second Life came out and the hype around the Metaverse future was just as real back then as it is today. You can visit the empty government buildings, brand showcases and cities to get a taste of the forgotten glory.
Time and time again people have been put together in a virtual space, and we still went back to physical life for real connections.
We have to ask ourselves, why did we leave virtual worlds and go back to physical life?
3. The nature of virtual spaces leads to shallow relationships The great benefits of any relationship are usually found in the most challenging operations of cooperation, marriage is a great example. Dating is exciting but sharing a life with someone is deeply sacrificial and yet, the benefits of marriage are enormous.
In digital worlds we scarcely invest as heavily in relationships as in physical life. When we can go anywhere, be with anyone it's easy to constantly look for greener grass.
This problem is accentuated by the ability to change your name/avatar at will. When people can burn others and simply change their identity to escape consequences, they do. Investing in a real reputation and a single identity is the first step to solving this issue.
4. The Metaverse will arise from a gaming world In digital worlds, we find ourselves mixed in with people from different cultures who have different values and interests. By contrast, in physical life we are naturally segmented with people who are more likely to share our values and ideas.
Gaming has the power to break ice between people and therefore has intrinsic utility to the Metaverse.
By using gamification we can organize and connect people of similar interests and values in a virtual space.
Not only that, gaming has the power to get people to relax. Human beings don’t develop meaningful friendships when forced into it. This is what social games and “virtual life” games often get wrong. Actual gameplay builds the context we need to relax and have a conversation to find people we are compatible with.
5. Reciprocating facial expressions are necessary for cooperative human behavior If you've ever lifted a baby and smiled at it, you know that facial expressions are deeply embedded in how we communicate. When we hurt someone's feelings, their facial expressions changes and, as we reciprocate their facial expressions, our body produces the same emotions as we make that individual feel. This acts as a natural tempering of our behaviour that we don't get when we communicate over the internet.
6. The network effect would eventually push everyone to a single virtual world A long time ago, there was a single company that dominated the telephone market. To call anybody who was the customer of the company you needed to have a phone that was with that same company, phones were not interoperable. Today, if you want to contact somebody on Facebook, you need Facebook to do so. This is how social networks defend their intellectual property.
Meta executive Jason Rubin:
“The first metaverse that gains real traction is likely to the be the last,” Rubin wrote. “We must act first, and go big, or we risk being one of those wannabes.” - CNBC
The network effect is a scary prospect because it means that there will likely be only one Metaverse to rule them all in the end.
7. Customization is the enemy of usability It's fascinating to bump into so many people who share the idea that no corporation should control the future of human interaction. However, it's laughable that we're using the same ill-advised ideas that allowed Facebook, Google and apps to dominate when it comes to this next chapter.
One of the reasons that Facebook overtook MySpace was that MySpace allowed people to customize their profile infinitely. This led to a myriad of different user interfaces, confusing navigation and a poor user experience.
Just imagine a myriad of virtual worlds all with their own user interface, controls and standards. The experience of travelling from world to world would be like being born all over again and having to learn how to read and write.
Therefore, the virtual world must have a single user experience to reach mass adoption.
8. The Metaverse has the power to become a dystopian nightmare As the network effect brings everyone to a single Metaverse, the potential for the abuse of power will be astronomical. The Metaverse will understand where you are, who you are with and even what you look at.
AI will be able to process that data to better understand you than you yourself and data is the first step toward oppression.
Utilizing all this data, powerful individuals will have the ability to suppress dissent, identify people of contrarian opinion etc.
Moreover, if we begin to fool ourselves that we can agree on morals and values, those who disagree with the mainstream will live in constant fear of losing their friends, job and opportunities if they are banned from the Metaverse.
P.S. I am not a financial adviser.
submitted by RedEagle_MGN to GameDevs [link] [comments]
2021.12.04 13:18 Shadsterz Short update on Lamont’s old wholesome community 4Love
2021.12.04 13:18 Potential_Jello_717 Ibb ,yemen ..
2021.12.04 13:18 BoredRabidBadger "Brothers! I have found the sisters booze!"
|submitted by BoredRabidBadger to Warhammer40k [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 Neville_Lynwood [Kindle] Rider Forbidden: An Enemies to Lovers Romance - Permanently FREE
2021.12.04 13:18 serk267 Restoration progress of my 97 chevy
2021.12.04 13:18 jimmyrok9 English Premier League -- Leeds United vs Brentford Prediction & Match Preview
2021.12.04 13:18 Convexreflection [homemade] Flammkuchen
|submitted by Convexreflection to food [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 Milystars20 Commissions are open! Please DM if interested! For art examples please check my profile or my instagram @milystars_19
|submitted by Milystars20 to furry [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 SwitchSavings Need some help finding cute villagers
Hey everyone! I am a new player and was wondering if anyone could spare some NMT so I could hunt for a cute villager? I really wanted to get some in time for the Holidays :(
submitted by SwitchSavings to BuddyCrossing [link] [comments]
2021.12.04 13:18 FinnX2905 Geil 🤩
|submitted by FinnX2905 to stephaniebaessler [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 digipenicillin Crossover website Easter Egg!!
There is a special spot to click on the crossover website
Find it if you can! Might take you some time but I’m sure you can find it!
Also there is a counter that keeps track so find it fast, tick tock!
Or you can spoil it for yourself and read this: Spoiler
The easter egg is pretty neat and definitely takes me back! Spoiler
I love that they did this!
submitted by digipenicillin to AnotherEdenGlobal [link] [comments]
2021.12.04 13:18 NovaFaux If you love cooking/baking &video games. These recipes are soo fun
|submitted by NovaFaux to videogames [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 LavenderPaperback Spiral Abyss teams?
| Hey guys! |
I've been playing for 8 months, AR 56, p2p and all I can do on the 12th floor is 4 stars. I feel like I have decently built characters so maybe I'm just using them wrong?
My teams are:
What teams should I use? Or who to lvl up?
submitted by LavenderPaperback to Genshin_Impact [link] [comments]
2021.12.04 13:18 jmorri20 Big nose cat
|submitted by jmorri20 to confusing_perspective [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 icemanz44 When she was slim thick
|submitted by icemanz44 to ChineseKittyGoons [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 Rule0- what do shulkers shoot at you???
if shulkers shoot themselfs with a shulker bullet they duplicate themselfs. wich is an actual thing in the real world, its called "Asexual reproduction" and its as waird as it sounds. and that would explain why all shulker sound look and behave the same...
all that said, the same projectile that makes them duplicate, is the same projectile that shulker shoot at you, wich means that shulker shoot their semen at you as self defence...
submitted by Rule0- to Minecraft [link] [comments]
2021.12.04 13:18 mango4everdo 👜 TRENDY 👠 | Anonymous luxury shopping 🛍️ | 💎 Low mcap | No pump and dump | Redistribution and buyback
💎 $TRENDY, the token you can spend to buy original and certified Gucci, Balenciaga, Louis Vuitton bags and accessories, without having to convert the tokens into FIAT currency. All sent to your home or to any place you wish, completely anonymously.
🚀 TOKENOMICS 🚀
Total supply: 1 Trillon
Holders: 200 (You Are Early!!!)
Transparent and sincere devs!
🌍 CHANNELS 🌍
ECommerce: TrendyStore Open Beta
Join us on Telegram: @ TrendyToken
Dextools Chart: Dextools Chart
❇️ Poocoin ads
❇️ Google ads
❇️ Facebook ads
❇️ Twitter marketing
❇️ Reddit marketing
❇️ Telegram marketing
❇️ CMS top 10
submitted by mango4everdo to ico [link] [comments]
2021.12.04 13:18 tomekk7 ITAP of light christmas tree with church in the background
|submitted by tomekk7 to itookapicture [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 skyesya2 I disagree with this person- they say that non-Catholic movies and shows aren’t good even though many of them have good morals that don’t offend Catholic Faith even if it’s another worldview. It also seems like Puritan-like thinking to me. They used quotes from Saints to back up what they said.
2021.12.04 13:18 FurtumTuum What is you preferred print surface? Just had to peel off the buildtak
|submitted by FurtumTuum to MPSelectMiniOwners [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 LostNecessary3553 Day 4 completed total 10 days completed including November strike
2021.12.04 13:18 GarlandAnderson Some Banjo Playing Along The Ualaka’a Trail
|submitted by GarlandAnderson to Oahu [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 Blue_Allen 反送中电影《时代革命》获金马奖最佳纪录片
|submitted by Blue_Allen to DoubanGoosegroup [link] [comments]|
2021.12.04 13:18 appsaraby "بنك أوف أمريكا" يحذر الأسواق من التضخم المرتفع فى عام 2022
|submitted by appsaraby to Egypt_News [link] [comments]|